Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hi all! It's been a few weeks, I know. I can explain. It's the weeds. They captured me and took me to their leader, and she said I couldn't go back to work or write any new blog posts until I signed a contract, in blood, stating that I would never again associate myself with any product designed to bring about herbicide. Evidentally they found out that I had recently been involved in herbicide on a massive scale at the Sylvan Heights waterfowl center in Scotland Neck, and they wanted to make me pay. I tried to explain that those had been invasive exotic weeds, and that I had simply rid that site of wanted plant thugs, but they were unimpressed. Queen privet called that ethnic discrimination, and threatened to bury me neck deep in Kudzu, so I crossed my fingers and pledged to never harm another weedy plant, invasive or otherwise. Whew!

Anyway, the summer is slowing down a bit now, and i have a chance to breath a bit. The invasive removal trip the Duke Gardens staff took to Sylvan heights was alot of fun. We got rid of a good bit of chinese privet, along with some other wanted plants, and then got a tour of the facilities from Brad, the curator. We'll be going back this fall at some point to work again- check this blog in the coming months for more info.

Three of us just returned from the Cullowhee Native Plant Conference http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=27540747836> -see this link for a conference facebook page. It's a great chance to learn more about what's happening in the native plant landscaping and conservation community. Check it out.

Finally, someone put me in front of a video camera the other day for a very short film about interesting plants in the Blomquist Garden. You can check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fB7jU2A-kA. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, especially for those of us who are more visually oriented. But, I might have nightmares of you buried knee deep in Kudzu!

    Interesting video, too. I am glad that you featured the hairy rattleweed, which attracted my kids and me just the other day when we were visiting Blomquist. The leaves remind me so much of eucalyptus. It's a great plant that we all wanted to touch.

    Thank you
    Emily Geizer

    ReplyDelete