Thursday, January 8, 2009

Am I a blogger? Maaaybee. Well, lets get this snowball rolling...... I love technology when it works for people like me. By that I mean folks who have no real love of tech for tech's sake. So this is exciting- a site where I can communicate to others about what I do without pulling out my hair over technical issues and my own incompetence. That said, let's begin.

I'm a dirt digger. That's pretty much the story. I dig holes and fill them with a) Plants, b) rocks, or c) water. I do most of my digging in the Blomquist Garden of Native Plants at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens in Durham, NC, and since this blog is about the garden and not the gardener, lets focus on my office from now on. (If you really want to know more about me, first, check your medications- then, if you are still curious, check my profile here on the blog)

The Blomquist Garden is a special place to work. I say that alot, and it starts to sound hackneyed after a bit, but I mean it. If the term "urban oasis" means anything to you, then the Blomquist Garden is your spot. Six acres of piedmont woodland smack dab (I love using that saying) in the middle of a busy college campus can't help but become a refuge for people, plants and animals alike, and that's precisely how I like to look at this garden. The Blomquist is a quiet place for humans to filter out the hubbub of a busy city and get back to the peace of the woods. On another level, the Garden is a living museum. Displayed throughout the year are over one-thousand species of plants native to the southeastern United States, many of which are becoming harder to find in the wild. The final piece of the mosaic is the collection of animals and insects who use the Blomquist Garden as a place to feed, mate and raise their young. To pull all of these elements together, a network of interpretive signage offers insight into the hidden world of the botanic garden, and how the living collections here function to improve the quality of life for a host of species, Homo sapiens included. I hope you'll return to this blog in the coming months as I update happenings here in the Blomquist Garden of Native Plants at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment